Embedded software engineer
Software Engineering Manager
Embedded Software Engineer
October 31, 2016
This position will report to the software engineering manager and will work closely with all aspects of engineering. He/She will play a central role in the embedded software engineering development, including device architecture, requirements development, electrical and firmware detail design development, system integration, test plan development and execution, as well as transfer into full production release. This role will collaborate closely with cross-functional team members in Electrical, Mechanical, Mobile SW Application, Drug Delivery, Quality Assurance, Operations and Product Management to implement products from concept to production. This role will also work closely with internal and external partners to generate all necessary documentation and test plans to ensure product(s) meet specification. In addition, the embedded software engineer will ensure product features achieve cost and schedule goals along with reliability, electronic, regulatory and safety requirements.
- Develop world class firmware for innovative medical device / consumer electronics wearable products
- Willingness to take on challenging embedded systems engineering projects primarily developed in C
- Define, implement and review product requirements, architecture and detailed design specifications for complex systems, PCB and FPGA based designs
- Investigate and debug firmware and system integration issues
- Collaborate with internal & external team members
- Execute on projects from concept through bring-up, debug, regulatory compliance and release to production
- Contribute to system integration and test of the product(s) between EE, ME, Quality Engineering, and Mobile Development
- Utilize best-in-class tools to develop innovative software engineering solutions to highly complex problems
- Effective communication skills
This position reports to the software engineering manager.
An enthusiastic individual with attention to detail. Must be able to work effectively in an entrepreneurial, informal medical drug/device developmental company. This individual must be able to function as a hands-on team member and be a quick-learner and adapt to a fast-pace moving environment. They must be able to work very efficiently, communicate well and establish strong relationships with multi-functional areas. The ideal candidate should have thorough ability to use state-of-the-art embedded systems equipment and tools to create and manage designs.
Education: BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent major.
Typical Experience: 2+ years of hands-on experience developing firmware systems for complex and innovative products. Experience in medical product development and design control is desirable but not required.
Fields of Expertise:
- Experience with real-time software development using C
- Development on ARM architecture
- Experience with software issue tracking, software version control, and requirements management tooling environments
- Experience with system software development working with electrical design schematic capture and PCB layout tools
- Experience writing PCB & FPGA bring-up and test plans
- Experience with Bluetooth, low-energy desirable
- Knowledge of firmware design and development
- Strong understanding of PCB design principles, PCB materials selection, PCB stack-ups and high speed signal integrity and design rules
- Experience with collaborating with outsourced development projects, ODMs and/or projects with outsourced engineering resources
- Display adaptability and flexibility with non-routine situations and drive decisions to ensure project plan can be achieved.
- Experience working in a fast paced startup environment desirable
- Results and deadline driven
Travel Requirement: Ability to travel (domestic and internationally).
Equipment Used: Personal computers.